What is Hardwood Floor Refinishing?
Do you need hardwood flooring refinishing in Kennesaw, Marietta, or Atlanta area? Hardwood flooring can get scratched and dull as it ages. But unlike other types of flooring, the look of hardwood flooring can be restored. That’s possible through refinishing. Refinishing your flooring can improve the look of a room without having to incur the expense of installing brand-new flooring.
You can do about 10 refinishing jobs on your hardwood flooring during its lifetime. The process simply involves the removal of the dull top layer and covering the floor using a sander, which leaves you with a fresh surface. Keep reading to discover how you can perform hardwood flooring refinishing.
DIY vs Professional Hardwood Flooring Refinishing in Kennesaw
You can choose to do hardwood flooring refinishing yourself or hire a professional. You need to note that there are often mistakes when you go DIY. A professional has the knowledge and experience in refinishing hardwood floors. A professional will often charge you about $5 per square foot based on the size of the job as well as the nature of space and the material.
If you want to handle the job yourself, you will need to rent solid-wood sanding machine and hand sanding tools. A professional would come with all the required tools for the job.
- Prepare the room– this is the first step for hardwood floor refinishing. Start by cleaning the surface of the floor by vacuuming it thoroughly and removing in debris or dust that may be in the room. There should be completely nothing in the room that can trap dust or mould.
- Sanding – sanding is the process of removing the damaged surface layer using the sanding machine. Sanding machines are usually large, thus, you should push them over the floor slowly at an even pace to gently remove the damaged layer and leave you with an even surface. You should remember to sand the corner and the edges, which is better done using smaller sanding machines. The vacuum attached to the machine should suck up most of the dust generated as a result of sanding.
- Clean the Dust – after sanding, you should clean and vacuum the room thoroughly before proceeding to the next step. You can use a slightly dampened cloth to wipe the floors and walls of the room.
- Staining – this is optional, but it can be used to change the colour and enhance the material. There are a number of stains available, however, you should follow the instructions of the manufacturer.
- Protective treatment – hardwood flooring that has been sanded down becomes vulnerable to scratches, damage and stains. By applying treatment such as polyurethane, you can protect the surface from damage as well as maintain its new look. Polyurethane, the most widely used protecting coating, is resistant to stains, liquids and scratching damage. You can also use a sealer, which is a thin protective liquid that penetrates the hardwood through the pores of the material to create a clear surface coating.
Conclusion About Refinishing Hardwood Floors
Hardwood floor refinishing is important to revitalize the look of a room. By following the above steps and making sure that you have the right tools and the knowledge to handle them you can end with a brand new look on your flooring surface. Make sure that the room is clean before you start the refinishing process. Before bringing everything back, make sure the polyurethane has completely dried.
If you need your hardwood floors refinished by a professional. Give us a call or request a fast free estimate today. We have some of the best prices in town and offer high quality professional services. We are on time and one budget guaranteed!