Hardwood Floor Maintenance Tips by Pros
Wondering about hardwood floor maintenance? If you’re thinking of getting hardwood floors in Atlanta, or you already have them, with a few good tips you can keep them looking new and last a lifetime. Hardwood floor maintenance is not very complicated and if done correctly it is pretty easy. Knowing how to care for hardwood floors will prolong their life, keep them looking new, and clean.
Why Should You do Hardwood Floor Maintenance?
If you have invested in hardwood floors, then you should protect that investment with good hardwood floor care and maintenance. Properly caring for your hardwood floors has many advantages. Some of the top benefits Include:
- Prolonging the Life of the Hardwood
- Protecting the finish
- Keeping them clean and hygienic
- Ensuring they look new for years to come
Here we have complied a list of 6 things you can do for your hardwood floor care that will keep them looking like new. These are our top recommendations for how to care for hardwood floors. If you do some or all of these then you can be assured your hardwood floors will look great and last for years.
6 Things You Can Do To keep Your Hardwood floors Looking New
- All hardwood floors should be cleaned regularly. To accomplish that, simply sweep, dust mop or vacuum the floors with the beater bar turned off to remove dirt and grit from between the floor boards.
- Avoid using a wet mop or steam mop on hardwood floors as water and steam can dull the finish, or even damage the wood over long periods of time.
- Place throw rugs at all entrances, avoiding those with rubber backs, which can discolor wood floors.
- Special rug mats can be purchased from a wood flooring retailer that will protect the floors from discoloration. Throw rugs will help keep outside dirt and other debris from scratching the floors. Scratches also can be prevented by placing floor protector pads on the bottoms of the legs of any furniture that comes into direct contact with the floors.
- When spills occur, be sure to clean them immediately with a dry or slightly damp cloth. Allowing spills to remain on the wood floors could damage the finish, and possibly the wood. Avoid walking on the floors with sports cleats or high heel shoes that are in disrepair. These can scratch the finish, or even dent the floor.
- Finally, when the floor begins to look a little dull, use a wood flooring cleaner recommended by your installer to renew the luster. Be sure to use the product as directed, and use only products that are compatible with your wood floor as using the wrong type of cleaning product could damage the finish, and possibly damage the wood as well.
Hardwood Floor Care Summary:
There you go. If you follow these recommendations, then your hardwood floors will last a lifetime and always look great. It’s best to have a routine for your hardwood floor maintenance on a weekly, monthly, and yearly schedule. The time you invest in caring for your hardwood floors will pay off now and in the future.
If your hardwood floors are in serious need of repair or refinishing now, then you may need to hire a professional to help you restore your hardwood floors to new. We at Innovation Floors are experienced installers and offer hardwood floor refinishing in Atlanta, Kennesaw, and Marietta areas. We can help you get new floors or restore you existing floors.
We offer no cost, no obligation estimates. Click here to get a free in home hardwood floor estimate.